Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Lupe steal like Lupin the Third"....(La Lupe)

South of the Market Street Mason-Dixon in the heart of The Italian Market lies a Mexican restaurant with a reputation.  A reputation of authenticity and excellence. It is often difficult to separate a neighborhood from its reputation, especially when your neighbors have so much neon signage. La Lupe is a simple Mexican restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner and serving some of the better Mexican in Philadelphia.
On a rainy afternoon I settled into the restaurant for a plate of chicken in Mole Poblano.  The spice level on this mole was a standout. The cooks at la Lupe did not settle into the too sweet or chocolate heavy failings of some renditions. The portion size was the most generous of any place I visited. there was one thing that I did not like about this mole. It was very thin. I am not sure if this was intentional, but it is definitely not my preference.The chicken was served bone in with rice and refried beans and fresh tortillas. This is the way you see it in Mexico, so prepare to get your hand dirty. the tortilla should be your fork and spoon anyway. I look forward to trying some more of La Lupe’s menu when I have time in the future.
The Skinny Fat Kid

La Lupe 
1201 S 9th St  (At Federal St)
Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment