Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Knick game/ big chain/ in all my splendor... NYC Part 1 (Hill Country Chicken)

  Hill Country Chicken is a recently opened offshoot of the Hill Country BBQ chain. They are one of the many places in the midst of New York's fried chicken craze. If you haven't been paying attention NYC is crazy about fried chicken like Philly is crazy about cupcakes. Located in the Flatiron District it is a cafeteria style eatery specializing in 2 types of fried chicken. One is a classic style from a family recipe and the other is a skinless bird that is battered and given a seasoning reminiscent of "Shake & Bake".
   I ordered a few pieces of each. I actually enjoyed both styles and was happy that they offer each. I was also pleasantly surprised by the size of the pieces. The breast piece was large enough to be a meal in its self. I am also happy that they carry Boylan fountain soda as well as a selection of other beverages like strawberry lemonade and mint iced tea. They also have a good selection of beer and wines by the glass. If you really want to get classy you can save a few bucks and get a box of wine. The one thing that I thing needs most improvement is the choices of sides. I think the best bets are the fresh cut fries and the fire and ice pickles.
  Solid fried chicken, solid execution. I also like that is by a park. I wish last Sunday's weather was nicer.


Hill Country Chicken
1123 Broadway (corner of 25th)
New York, NY
212-257-6446
hillcountrychicken.com

No comments:

Post a Comment